Winter often transforms our Instagram feeds with pictures of snowy outdoor pursuits, colourful Christmas markets and cosy indoor scenes. But if you're looking to grab your followers' attention, then it could be time to step up your game. Using an Interrail Pass, you can travel across Europe and capture the full variety of winter on your Insta. Here are our picks of the six best destinations for Instagrammable winter pics.
If you're in search of some of Europe's best Christmas lights, then look no further than the English capital. Every year in early November, the major shopping streets of Oxford Street, Regent Street and Carnaby are lit up with original designs.
- A London Routemaster bus beneath a Christmas angel can make for a heavenly photo.
- Check out famous department stores, like Harrods and Hamleys for some fun, festive window displays.
- After enjoying the Christmas lights, you can watch the stars at a show in London's nearby West End.
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
The Dutch capital is able to rival London's Christmas lights, with the Amsterdam Light Festival brightening dark winter nights along the canals from 02 December 2021 to 23 January 2022. But the real treat in Amsterdam is when the canals freeze (weather dependent, of course). Then you can watch, or even join in, as the locals quite literally get their skates on.
- If the weather doesn't deliver frozen canals, then you can always ice skate at Ice*Amsterdam. This outdoor rink is open in front of the Rijksmuseum from 13 November 2021.
The Glacier Express, Switzerland
This scenic train provides seven and a half hours of magical winter landscapes as it passes through 91 tunnels, crosses 291 bridges and reaches a height of 2033 metres on its journey from St. Moritz to Zermatt. The new 1st and 2nd class panorama cars were practically made for Instagrammers, so sit back and enjoy the view.
- The Glacier Express runs daily during the winter season and is covered by Interrail Global Passes and Interrail Switzerland Passes.
- Seat reservations are compulsory, but can be up to 20 CHF cheaper if you travel in winter.
- At the end of the line in Zermatt, you can venture up into the mountains and see the formidable Matterhorn.
Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, Finland
Forget sleeping under the stars - at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in the wilds of Lapland you can sleep under the Northern Lights! Stay in one of the resort's glass igloos and you can catch a glimpse of the mystical green without even donning a hat and scarve.
- Glass igloos are available to stay in throughout winter and until the end of April.
- Try out a Finnish sauna if you start feeling the cold.
- The resort really is in the wilderness, but you can use your Pass to get to Rovaniemi train station. From there, take a 3 hour bus to the remote resort.
Ice and snow can be unpredictable, but you can always rely on Budapest to warm up your winter with its thermal baths. There are plenty to choose from, but the palatial, yellow Széchenyi Baths spa complex are by far the most impressive.
- Try some kürtőskalács (chimney cake) - a sweet Hungarian sweet pastry that goes well with chocolate, cinnamon or sugar.
- Grab a drink at one of the Budapest's famous ruin bars, typically located in old and shabby buildings.
- Get around the city using the Christmas Trams, festively decorated with thousands of LED lights.
Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
The turquoise lakes of this national park used to be off the beaten track, but are quickly becoming one of the most Instagrammed locations in Europe. While the falls are a blue and green paradise in summer, they freeze over in winter, allowing you to get some beautiful alternative shots.
- The national park is partially closed in winter (November to March), but the Lower Lakes and winding boardwalks are open year-round, weather permitting.
- To visit the lakes, take a bus or a full-day tour from Zagreb, the Croatian capital.
Are you ready to #createyourownstory?
The Interrail Global Pass is your ticket to giving your followers the chills. With borderless rail travel in 33 countries, there's nothing stopping you from filling your feed with the hottest shots of the coldest time of year!
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.