Trains in Lithuania
Want to go on an adventure to Lithuania's best bits? Trains in Lithuania will get you to most destinations in this outstandingly beautiful country! From lively Vilnius to the natural wonders of Klaipeda and beyond, the Lithuanian rail network connects you to neighbouring Poland and loads of local highlights.
Train types in Lithuania
- Route map
- Domestic trains
- International trains
Domestic trains in Lithuania:
- Trains in Lithuania are mainly operated by LGT Link.
- Vilnius Railway Station is the largest station in the country and the main hub for rail traffic.
- There is a direct train connection from Vilnius airport to this central station 18 times a day, which takes 8 minutes and costs EUR 0.70.
- Other large stations are in Klaipėda, Radviliškis and Kaunas.
- Interrail Passes are not valid on the buses or trams.
Travel times in Lithuania:
|Vilnius to Kaunas||1hr 34min|
|Vilnius to Klaipėda||4hr 10min|
|Vilnius to Šiauliai||2hr 33min|
For more information about train routes in Lithuania, check the website of the Lithuanian Railways.
International trains from Lithuania:
Kaunas - Bialystok (Poland)
- This trip takes on average 4hr 30 min.
- This line runs on Saturday, Sunday and Monday only. Bikes and luggage can be carried on-board, space permitting. There's a 35kg limit on luggage, but you can purchase extra luggage allowance.
Vilnius - Daugavpils (Latvia)
- From Daugavpils you can change to a Latvian train to Riga.
Other international routes take you to Belarus. However, this country is not covered by the pass. If you want to take a train to Belarus, you will have to buy full fare tickets at the station in Lithuania, you can not use your Pass to travel on this train.
Reservations for trains in Lithuania
Reservations are not mandatory to travel by train in Lithuania. However, reservations for the route Vilnius - Klaipėda are highly recommended due to high demand.
|Route||What is included:|
|Vilnius - Klaipėda||Drinks and snacks|
Vilnius - Klaipėda- Nida
|Drinks and snacks, bus transfer from Klaipėda to Nida|
Vilnius - Klaipėda- Palanga
|Drinks and snacks, bus transfer from Klaipėda to Palanga|
How to book a reservation:
At the train station in Lithuania.
Get your Pass for Lithuania
24 hours in Vilnius Uncover the secret beauty of Vilnius with Interrail.
1 week in Lithuania Lithuania is known for its stunning coastline, wetlands and fascinating cities, packed with history. Travel by rail with your Global Pass to discover this Baltic beauty!