Trains in Estonia
It's time to explore the north of Europe! Travel to Estonia with an Interrail Pass and discover all of the capital Tallinn, learn all about the impressive history and see the amazing national parks.
Train types in Estonia
- Domestic routes
- International Routes
- Ferry routes
Average travel time from Tallinn to other Estonian cities:
|Tallinn – Narva
|Tallinn – Valga
|Tallinn – Viljandi
|Tallinn – Tartu
|Tallinn – Paldiski
There are no direct international trains leaving from Tallinn to neighbouring countries. However, there is a connection with a transfer to Latvia through the Estonian border town Valga.
Estonia to Latvia: Tallinn – Valga – Riga line
The last stop of the Tallinn – Valga line, is on Estonian territory. Here you can change to a Latvian train directly to Riga or other destinations in Latvia.
Tallinn has great connections to Finland and Sweden. These ferries are not included in the Pass, but Interrail Pass holders can get a discount on their passage. Check the benefits portal for more information on these ferries and the discount:
Ferry to Finland: Tallinn – Helsinki
The ferry from Tallinn (Estonia) to Helsinki (Finland) takes between 2 and 3 hours. This route is offered by Tallink Silja, Viking Lines and Eckerö line.
Ferry to Sweden: Tallinn – Stockholm
The ferry from Tallinn (Estonia) to Stockholm (Sweden) is an overnight ferry and takes approximately 16 hours. This route is offered by Viking Line and Tallink Silja.
Not possible through Interrail reservation self-service system.
Locally at the train station in Estonia.
By sending an e-mail
- It's not possible to make reservations for 2nd class when travelling with an Interrail Pass.
- On some routes there are 1st class carriages where it's possible to make a reservation, only for 1st class Pass holders. You can reserve a seat by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, 5 working days in advance. Specify the date, time and route on which you want to travel.
- When 1st class is sold out, it is possible to sit in 2nd class without any reservation.
- When travelling with a 2nd class Pass, it is possible to sit in 1st class if there are free seats available in the 1st class compartment. This upgrade can only be bought on board and is subject to availability.
Good to know
- In the train, your Pass will be inspected by the ticket inspector. You will be issued a ticket, but it will have a value of €0 and is for Elron's administration only.
Get your Pass for Estonia
Tips and tricks for Estonia
Pass Benefits in Estonia
With an Interrail Pass you can enjoy some benefits, like:
- Discounted ferry passage to Finland and Sweden
- And more...
Baltic Itinerary Adventure awaits! Explore the latest additions to the Interrail family, travelling across Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania by rail.
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.