Trains in Denmark
The Danish State Railways (DSB) has a dense network of train services connecting Copenhagen, Arhus, Alborg and much more of Denmark. Trains are the fabulous way of exploring this fascinating country and its islands!
Train types in Denmark
- Route Map
- Domestic Trains
- International Trains
- Night trains
Regional trains (RØ, RV, ØR, IR)
Regional trains throughout Denmark
InterCity and InterCity Lyn (IC, ICL)
Faster than the regional trains
Various routes within Denmark
Suburban trains in Copenhagen
Fully included in your Interrail Pass
Nordjyske Jernbaner (NJ)
Fully included in your Interrail Pass
- Local trains on the island Sjælland
- Fully included in the pass
Private railway companies in Denmark
Most are included in your Interrail Pass
See the full list of included companies
Bicycles are permitted on the train upon purchase of a special bike ticket.
From May to August bike space must be booked in advance for IC and ICL trains.
SJ Euronight (EN)
- Berlin (from 31 March) - Hamburg - Copenhagen Airport - Malmö - Stockholm
- Runs daily
- Berlin - Hamburg - Copenhagen Ørestad - Malmö - Stockholm
- Runs daily except Saturdays
- Also serves as a day train from Copenhagen Ørestad to Stockholm
- Domestic routes
- International routes
These are the average travel times between the biggest cities in Denmark. Seat reservations are optional for all these train journeys.
|Copenhagen to Alborg||4h 45m|
|Copenhagen to Arhus||3h 20m|
|Copenhagen to Esbjerg||3h 35m|
|Copenhagen to Odense||1h 45m|
|Aalborg to Hirtshals (ferry to Norway)||1h 05m|
|Aalborg to Frederikshavn (Ferry to Norway and Sweden)||1h 10m|
|Route||Which train?||Travel time||Reservations|
|Copenhagen to Hamburg (Germany)||Intercity (IC)||4h 56m||Required from June 17th until August 21st|
|Copenhagen to Malmö (Sweden)||Regional train (Öresundståg)||40m||No reservation on Öresundståg|
|Copenhagen to Oslo (Norway)
(via Gothenburg, Sweden)
|Regional train||8h 30m||No reservation Copenhagen-Gothenburg. Optional reservation Gothenburg-Oslo.|
|Aarhus to Hamburg (Germany)||Intercity (IC)||4h 27m||Required from June 17th until August 21st|
|Copenhagen to Stockholm (Sweden)||High Speed Train (X2000)||5h 15m||Required|
|Copenhagen to Berlin (Germany)||Copenhagen to Berlin (Germany)||8h 55m & 9h 40m||Required|
How can I make reservations for trains in Denmark?
Interrail reservation self-service system
- IC, IC-Lyn, HST (X2000), EuroNight, Snälltaget
Administration costs when booking through Interrail self-service
- € 2,- p.p.per train
- Additional € 9,- per order (for paper tickets)
With railway carriers
- DSB (Danish railways): Domestic trains
- IC, IC-Lyn
- DSB (via b-europe): Domestic and international trains except Sweden
- IC, IC-Lyn, IC to Hamburg
- SJ (Swedish Railways): International trains to/from Sweden only
- X2000, EN Berlin – Stockholm
- Snälltaget: Only Berlin – Copenhagen – Stockholm night train
- DB (German railways): International trains to Germany
Locally at the train station
Which trains in Denmark require reservations?
- SJ High-speed train: approximately €9 (DKK 67) in 2nd class and €18 (DKK 134) in 1st class
- Intercity (IC trains to and from Germany): €4,50 (DKK 33) in 2nd class and €5,90 (DKK 44) in 1st class. Required during summer season only (17 June until 21 August)
- SJ Euronight: fees depend on destination and type of seat/bed booked.
- Snälltåget: fees depend on destination and type of seat/bed booked.
Reservations recommended for long journeys
InterCity (IC) and InterCityLyn (ICL): approximately €4 (DKK 30)
Get your Pass for Denmark
Tips and tricks for Denmark
Spelling of names in Denmark
The local spelling of Danish cities can differ from the English spelling. Keep this in mind when looking up train times at stations or in timetables .
Copenhagen = København
24 hours in Copenhagen Explore the colourful streets of Copenhagen, the city of fairytales.
Denmark The Interrail train journey through Denmark can be both inspiring and mystical. Plan ahead with our guide on places to visit and events to attend.
Scandinavia in Summer Scandinavia in summer is something special. Add these destinations to your rail itinerary during the warmer months!
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.