SJ night train
There’s no better way to travel the vast distances of Sweden than by the comfort of a night train and the Swedish rail company SJ offers one of the most modern night train services in Europe. There’s a variety of sleeping options to suit all needs from 6-bed couchette cabins to a 1st class private compartment with private WC and shower. Why not go on a killer whale safari in the Norwegian town of Narvik, experience the northern lights in Kiruna or hit the slopes at Sweden’s largest ski resort in Åre. The adventure that awaits you is only a train ride away.
SJ night train routes
SJ night trains travel direct to Sweden’s major cities such as Gothenburg, Östersund, Luleå, Stockholm and Malmö. Plus, connections are available upon arrival to smaller popular towns such as Are, Kiruna, Narvik (Norway) and Sundsvall. All the SJ night trains have refreshment facilities offering hearty hot and cold meals, drinks, snacks and a full breakfast. You can also bring your own food along on this overnight journey. Bicycles are not permitted aboard SJ night trains due to safety regulations and skis are allowed but must be in a case.
Domestic SJ night trains:
- Gothenburg - Östersund
- Gothenburg - Umeå
- Stockholm - Östersund
- Stockholm - Umeå
- Malmö - Stockholm
- Stockholm - Hamburg Altona
VY Sweden night trains:
- Stockholm - Luleå
- Stockholm - Narvik (Norway)
Reservations on the SJ night trains are compulsory. We recommend you make your reservations as far in advance as possible.
How to make reservations for the SJ night train
You can reserve your seat or sleeping accommodation on the SJ night train in the following ways:
- Through the reservation service
- Through the Swedish Railways (SJ) website (see below for instructions).
- Via the ÖBB website (only the Stockholm - Hamburg night train)
- At the train station. Keep in mind that trains can become full during busy times.
How to make a reservation for SJ night trains through the SJ website
1. Go to the website of SJ and search the train you want to travel on.
2. Select your travel date.
3. Then, under 'Who will travel?', click on 'Add SJ Prio / Commuter ticket / Rail Pass'.
4. Select 'Interrail or Eurail pass' and fill in your Pass Cover Number.
5. If you're booking for a group, add more travellers and repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. In the next step you can select a seat and you can pre-order a meal (not included in the reservation fee).
7. Check if all details for your reservation are correct and continue to payment. You will receive your e-ticket in your inbox.
- Seat: 3 euros
- 6-bed couchette: 20 euros p.p.
- 3-bed sleeper: 40 euros p.p.
- Double sleeper with private bathroom: 50 euros p.p.
- Single sleeper with private bathroom: 75 euros
If you want an adventure on your next vacation, travel on the Stockholm–Luleå–Narvik route. This night train leaves the capital of Sweden and takes passengers along the Gulf of Bothnia line to snake towards Narvik on Norway's mountainous west coast.
Reservations are compulsory; follow the instructions above to make your booking.
- Seat: 4 euros
- 6-bed couchette: 23 euros p.p.
- 3-bed sleeper: 46 euros p.p.
Facilities and services
- Air conditioning
- Disabled facilities
Facilities may differ per train and route.
Passengers with a 1st class pass can take advantage of the SJ lounge in Stockholm and Gothenburg. These lounges offer a relaxed environment to wait, have some food or a drink or use the WiFi to get online before you depart on your journey.
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.