AVE high-speed train
With close to 4000 kilometres of track, the Spanish high-speed AVE trains operate on the longest high-speed network in Europe. Running at speeds of up to 310 km/hour, this extensive network allows for fast connections between cities in Spain. Travel from Madrid to Barcelona in less than 3 hours! This modern train system connects many cities across Spain from Madrid and Barcelona, to Córdoba, Seville, Malaga, León and Valencia.
The central hub of the AVE system is Madrid with two main train stations: Puerta de Atocha-Almudena Grandes and Chamartín. In Barcelona, AVE trains depart from the train station Barcelona Sants.
AVE trains operate on the following International routes:
- Barcelona – Lyon
- Madrid – Marseille
AVE trains operate on the following domestic routes:
- Madrid – Zaragoza – Barcelona
- Madrid – Zaragoza – Huesca
- Madrid – Córdoba – Seville
- Madrid – Córdoba – Málaga
- Madrid – Córdoba – Granada
- Madrid – Barcelona – Girona – Figueres
- Madrid – Albacete – Alicante
- Madrid – Elche – Murcia
- Madrid – Valencia
- Madrid – Valladolid – Leon
- Barcelona – Zaragoza – Córdoba – Seville/Granada/Malaga
- Valencia – Córdoba – Seville
Reservations on the AVE high-speed trains are compulsory. We recommend you make your reservations as far in advance as possible.
How to make reservations for the AVE
Interrail reservation self-service system
Locally at the train station
- Reservations for AVE high-speed trains in Spain can also made locally at the ticket desk of a Spanish Long Distance railway station. Find a list of long distance train station here. You can make reservations on the day of travel or for up to 3 months in advance.
By calling Renfe phone sales
- +34 91 232 03 20
- Pre-reserving a seat is possible. You will receive a PNR code which you must use to pick up and pay for your reservation at a local station ticket office, making sure to show your Interrail Pass. After the booking, you must collect your reservation within 72 hours. The reservation can only be booked up to 24 hours before the train departure time. After this time the pre-reservation will expire.
- Please note that a pre-reservation is not the same as a reservation. It only holds a seat for you for 72 hours.
Other booking locations
- At a Deutsche Bahn ticket office. You need to provide the train number.
- Via Deutsche Bahn by phone (+49 30 2970 or directly to the English line +49 30 311682904). Collect at a DB ticket machine or receive via post (€5.90 per order). You need to provide the train number.
- Via a Swiss ticket office or by phone (see more here – scroll down to Switzerland).
Reservation classes & fees
- 2nd (Elige Estándar): €10,00
- 1st (Elige Confort): €13,00
- 1st (Premium including meal): €23,50
Facilities and services
- Air conditioning
- Audio system
- Child supervision
- Children's play area
- Coffee bar
- Disabled facilities
- Power sockets
- Video screens
Facilities may differ per train and route.
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.