AVE high-speed train
With 3,100km of track the Spanish high-speed AVE trains operate on the longest high-speed network in Europe. Running at speeds of up to 310 km/hour this extensive network allows for fast connections between cities in Spain. Travel from Madrid to Barcelona in less than 3 hours! This modern train system connects many cities across Spain from Madrid and Barcelona, to Córdoba, Seville, Malaga and Valencia.
The central hub of the AVE system in Madrid is the train station Puerta de Atocha. In Barcelona AVE trains depart from the train station Barcelona Saints.
AVE trains operate on the following routes:
- Madrid - Barcelona
- Madrid - Seville (via Ciudad Real - Puertollano - Córdoba Central)
- Madrid - Huesca (via Guadalajara - Calatayud - Zaragoza-Delicias - Tardienta)
- Madrid - Malaga
- Madrid - Figueres
- Madrid - Alicante
- Barcelona - Seville (via Madrid Puerta de Atocha)
- Barcelona - Malaga (via Madrid Puerta de Atocha)
- Madrid - Valencia (via Cuenca – Fernando Zóbel - Requena-Utiel)
- Valencia - Seville (via Cuenca – Fernando Zóbel - Ciudad Real)
- Barcelona - Paris
- Barcelona - Paris
- Barcelona - Toulouse
- Madrid - Marseille
- Madrid - Valladolid
Reservations on the AVE high-speed trains are compulsory. We recommend you make your reservations as far in advance as possible.
How to make reservations for the AVE
You can reserve your seat on the AVE in the following ways:
At the train station. Keep in mind that trains can become full during busy times
- 2nd class seat (Turista): €6.50
- 1st class seat (Preferente): €23.50
- 1st class seat (Club): €38
Meal and drink are included in 1st class - except on Saturdays.
Facilities and services
- Air conditioning
- Audio system
- Child supervision
- Children's play area
- Coffee bar
- Disabled facilities
- Power sockets
- Video screens
Facilities may differ per train and route.
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.