Solo travel tips and tricks
How to make the most of your first solo trip
Taking your first leap as a solo traveller? Travelling alone can be daunting, but it can also be a liberating experience. Go on spontaneous trips and choose when and where you want to go on your own. Travelling across Europe with an Interrail Global Pass is the perfect way to meet fellow travellers and locals in up to 33 countries. Taking night trains can also save you money on overnight accommodation.
European rail travel is generally safe but there's no harm in staying vigilant - stay safe!
Survival guide for solo travellers
- When boarding the train, find a seat that you feel comfortable in, in a carriage with other people.
- Update your friends or family regularly. If you're going off-grid, make sure someone knows when they should hear from you next.
- Be social. Join common hostel dinners, meet-ups or free walking tours to meet more people.
- Look after your health. Bring a first-aid kit and plenty of bottled water to drink on the train. Better safe than sorry!
- Keep your phone charged and download translation and map apps to use offline before you go. They'll come in handy!
- Don't set off unprepared. Research your destination before making the trip and be aware of the local customs and etiquette.
- Don't walk through areas you don't feel safe in. Talk to locals about which places or neighbourhoods to avoid.
- Don't leave your valuables out on show. Keep your Pass and your ID safe and keep extra money in a couple of places just in case. Having a mobile Pass instead of a paper Pass can ease the burden of carrying an extra valuable document.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help. Someone will always come to the aid of a person in need, so ask for help if you need it.
- Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. Travel might be about getting out of your comfort zone, but trust your instincts!
Top spots for solo travel
Head for the hills and take in easy in Innsbruck. This town is known for beautiful scenery and stunning views of the alps. A short train ride will take you to the heart of classical music in Salzburg.
Discover Innsbruck with an Austria Pass
Denmark is considered one of the safest countries in the world. Learn the Danish art of hygge and get cosy in welcoming Copenhagen. You can even take a Viking-style boat tour.
See Copenhagen with a Denmark Pass
The vibrant city of Amsterdam is perfect for solo travellers who want to spend some time exploring museums or enjoying a beer along the canals. It's the perfect place to meet likeminded travellers.
Visit Amsterdam with a Benelux Pass
Inspired to travel solo?
Travelling solo means spending time with the person you know best – yourself!
Still not convinced? We've weighed up the pros and cons of solo travel vs group travel to help you choose.