Do I need an Interrail or a Eurail pass?

An Interrail pass can only be used by European citizens and official residents. Non-European citizens can use a Eurail pass instead, available from If you aren't a European citizen, but you can prove that you live in Europe, you can use an Interrail pass.

Complete list of nationalities eligible for a Interrail pass.

What can be used as proof of citizenship?
Your citizenship can be proved using a valid passport or an ID card. An ID card in this case is classed as an official ID document that allows you to travel across borders. Train staff have the right to check your nationality, so make sure you always have your passport or ID card with you.

A driving licence is not accepted as proof of citizenship.

What can be used as proof of residence?
Your residence can be proved with official government-issued residency papers. This must be a valid document that clearly shows that you're an official resident of the country you live in (for example, a residence card).

Your proof of residence will be accepted if:

  • It is issued by the government.

  • It is valid for the entire duration of your Interrail trip.

  • It has an official mark or stamp from the issuing body.

  • It clearly states the issuing country.

  • It clearly states your name.

All UK Tier 1 to 5 Visas and the Spanish NIE are accepted as a proof as residency.

Documents such as bills, rental contracts or bank statements cannot be used. Travel visas and the residency field of a passport are also not accepted as proof of residency.